Sunday, March 25, 2012

Gouda Day Sunshine

On a sunny Sunday morning like today, some friends and I walked to Bloomington Bagel on Kirkwood (North Dunn Street) for brunch. I was really in the mood for brunch because I got up early for a morning work out.  I have only been there once before, and ordered a bagel, because if it isn't obvious from the name...it's a bagel place.  However, today, I wasn't really feeling a bagel, I thought about opting for a salad, but then decided against it, I was craving hot soup.  The weather in Bloomington has gotten a bit cooler outside, with the Tornado watch on Friday night, and soup was acceptable.  I ordered a bowl of the soup of the day, Roasted Red Pepper and Gouda soup.  I really love eating red peppers.  I mean I can cut one up and eat the whole thing, but roasted red peppers...well, for me it's a food that I'm not really sure I like.  You might be able to relate.  I'm sure you all have your foods that your think you like, then you try them and well they just are what you thought.  So I was really risking it today by ordering the Roasted Red Pepper and Gouda Soup, because I don't even really think I have ever tasted Gouda cheese, this was a whole new concept for me.
The soup came out steaming hot, and at first spoonful, I was blown away.  This soup totally hit the spot.  It was flavored perfectly, with a great combination of roasted peppers mixed with of pepper, garlic, and salt.  As I stuck my spoon in the bowl, it entered the creamy mash of the roasted red pepper, which melted in my mouth, with just a couple surprise bites of Gouda cheese sprinkled throughout.  I finished it quickly, and continued to put my spoon in the bowl, hoping for more.  I have to say, it was a Gouda brunch, and I look forward to going back for another bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment