Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Pepperwich

The start of the weekend at IU can only mean one thing when it comes to eating....the assault of disgusting food to humans from the so-called dining hall which I call Grosshum.  As I approached the entrance, for the third time today, I had a brilliant, beyond brilliant idea.  What about another type of wrap/sandwich/thingamabob.  I had the luxury of going shopping at Kroger the other day and had a fresh, bright yellow pepper sitting in my fridge.  So I decided that I would make an open-faced sandwich using the yellow pepper.  I filled a large salad bowl with tan bean sprouts, dark green skinned cucumbers and bright green jagged sliced juicy pickles, as well as a little condiment cup of yellow mustard.  And for protein, a piece of grilled chicken.  I ripped open the plastic bag containing the pepper and cut it into medium-sized pieces, spread some mustard on the slice, placed half a cucumber slice and pickle on one side, with the other half of cucumber and some bean sprouts on the other.  Then I placed a small piece of chicken on top to finalize my new invention of a meal.  The first bite was unreal.  The burst of sweetness from the pepper was paired perfectly with the tang of the mustard.  The cucumber, pickle and bean sprouts all tasted so different, but so good together.  The chicken molded the entire meal together.  The best part of the meal was how easy it was to make, an accessible although unusual college meal.

1 comment: