Saturday, April 7, 2012

Not a Seder to Pass Over

The clock struck 5 - my stomach grumbled.  I wanted to eat, but it was the first night of Passover and the Seder was starting at 6.  I forced myself to be patient and wait, trying to ignore the harmonious smells of the food cooking in the kitchen as their aroma wafted throughout the house.  Finally, after what seemed like forever (less than an hour), the Seder began.  However, food was still a ways off.  We started to read the Haggadah, the book describing the story of Passover, around the table...
Then came the moment I had been waiting for...the Charoset, representing the mud that ancient Israelites used in their pyramids.  It was a dark colored paste of red wine, chopped apples, and chopped walnuts, with a sprinkle of cinnamon.  The sweetness of the ingredients melted in my mouth.  Then came the traditional "Hillel Sandwich", a piece of matzah with Charoset (the sweet), and Horseradish (the bitter).  I was feeling daring, as I scooped a large spoonful of white Horseradish which has a strong fiery taste with a little bit of Charoset.  At first bite, the taste from the Horseradish was so strong that it cleaned out my sinuses.  My eyes began tearing because of the heat.  Although, the white Horseradish was good, I decided on sticking to the red Horseradish, seeing as it was the less-hot version.  After we read through the Hagaddah, the feast began.  We started with Matzoh Ball Soup, which is my favorite, so I could hardly sit still.  The soup had been cooking all day, allowing all the spices and various flavors to settle in, with chopped carrots, tomatoes, celery, chicken, and large matzoh meal balls.  I graciously accepted my large bowl, and slowly sipped the steaming soup.  The matzoh balls were fluffy and light with a soft center.  Then came the remaining dishes.  First was chicken with chives and tiny scallions.  I wanted to try everything, so I took a small piece of chicken and a glob of red horseradish, which I ate with a salad made from carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, orange peppers, and romaine lettuce.  Then came the almighty brisket, which had been slow-cooking in the crock-pot all day.  The dark redish-brown brisket was cooked to perfection.  It was tender, juicy, and served with stewed red and orange peppers, making it twice as good.  I could hardly contain myself, every next bite was better than the rest, if only I could bring this back to school with me.
Finally, came dessert.  A large platter of my favorite fruit, ripe red strawberries, luscious blackberries and blueberries, bright yellow pineapple, mouth-watering watermelon, and fresh cantaloupe.  Then there was a platter of dried fruit with dried apples, pears, plums, apricots, kiwi, prunes, papaya, and mango.  And as always, the actual dessert sweets - flavored chocolates, toffee-covered matzoh, coconut macaroons, and K for P chocolate chip cookies.  To put it simply, this Seder was unreal, it made me feel right at home.  And I must  say, homemade Seders are way better than store-bought ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment