Wednesday, April 11, 2012

#PassoverProblems

You know that feeling where you're always hungry?  Where you never really feel full, and your stomach feels empty?  That is how I feel every single day of Passover.  And let me tell you...it's not a pleasant feeling.  In order to prepare myself for the coming week, I signed up for the meal plan at Indiana University's Hillel for the week, gorging myself on food that is K for P, food that I am actually able to eat.  Tonight, during dinner at Hillel, I was glancing at the plates of my friends, trying to figure out what to eat, when this dark green reddish dish caught my eye.  A stuffed green pepper covered in this spicy red sauce.  It looked absolutely delish, but I couldn't really figure out the mystery meat, it looked a bit like Gefilte Fish (and I hatehatehate fish).  Skeptical as I was, I decided to try it anyway because my stomach was grumbling, and was hooked after the first bite, cutting a piece of pepper and pairing it with the saucy meat.  I finished it off within 5 minutes.
However, as I mentioned before, even after my meal...I did not feel full.  So, I looked around the room again for a snack and found myself staring at the little round container of red Horseradish, as the wheels in my brain started to spin with ideas.  I jumped up from the table and ran to the salad bar, where a loaded a cup with broccoli, carrots, and celery (three of my favorite vegetables), and a nice-sized glob of horseradish.  The horseradish was easily spread along the inside of the celery, dipped into by the carrots, and patted on the top of the broccoli heads.  The burst of flame from the spice of the horseradish got me teary eyed...again, but it was totally worth it.  I wouldn't say I felt full, but there was a feeling of satisfaction, which was a true Passover miracle.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like small African children know the feeling you are talking about in your first few sentences ;)

    ReplyDelete