Wednesday, April 24, 2013

MexiKosher

Salsa and guac for breakfast? Only with a side of pita chips. This morning I was doing a cooking demonstration with homemade salsa, guacamole and pita chips. To start, I gathered all the ingredients - 5 on-the-vine tomatoes, 1 sweet onion, 2 avocados, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 jalapeño pepper, 2 limes, salt, pepper, onion powder, and a handful of Cilantro.
I took a large blue cutting board and a serrated knife and got to work on the salsa. I sliced and seeded the tomatoes before cutting them into smaller pieces and placing them on a paper plate. I peeled the skin off the onion and chopped it up into tiny chunks. I took the dark green jalapeño, sliced it in half, seeded it, combined all the pieces together and carefully slid my knife back and forth through the chops of pepper. Once all the ingredients were cut, I combined them in a medium-sized glass bowl, sprinkled on some salt, squeezed on some lime juice and freshly chopped Cilantro as a garnish. I spooned together all the ingredients as the bowl sparkled from the bright colors of the vegetables. The fresh scents permeated the kitchen.
Next came the guacamole - I began with mashing the avocado together with a spoon, making it into a thick consistency. I added a splash of salt for flavor, fresh lime juice and again, freshly chopped Cilantro to add an authentic tangy Mexican flavor.
After a half hour of fresh ingredients preparation, it was time for the pita chips. I pulled the pita apart into halves and then cut them into triangle shaped chips. I placed the chips in a tin-foil dish and sprinkled on the flavors - garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. I placed the tin in the oven on 400 degrees for about 12 minutes and waited for them to turn crispy.
And FINALLY, it was time to eat! There were four other women there for the demonstration and we were all anxious for the taste test. The crunch of the pita chip was an ideal combination with the creamy guacamole. And the salsa was a whole other story - the flavors were a blend of perfection. The pungent taste of the onion, the sweetness of the tomato, and the acidity of the lime mixed with the jalapeño, which added a kick of flavor, leaving a fiery sensation in our mouths.
A savory, flavory breakfast replacement with a Kosher twist.

1 comment: