Friday, January 18, 2013

Gimme S'more of That

Last night I decided I needed to spice up my life a little bit, in the sense of food, and what I was going to eat for my meals - dinner and dessert.  For dinner I decided on brown rice, stir-fried shrimp and roasted butternut squash and onions: tasty and easy.  However, I always have more trouble deciding what to have for dessert, because I am not a huge fan of sweets.  I opened our snack cabinet to find a box of mini graham cracker squares, mini jet-puffed marshmallows and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, and Voila!  I was going to make mini s'mores for dessert!  But first, I had a prior commitment - a yoga class with my dad.  After an hour of relaxation, the only thing on my mind was the s'mores.  As we pulled into the driveway, I jumped out of the car and rushed into the house and took out a packet of chopsticks.  Why, chopsticks? you may ask...well it was a replacement skewer because these s'mores were taking place over an electric stove, rather than a smoky BBQ grill.  I stuffed two mini marshmallows on the chopstick and let the white puffs toast over the low heat from the stove, as they caught on fire and turned a golden brownish-black.  After about 3 minutes, the marshmallows were ready to be combined with the other ingredients.  I placed one mini brown speckled cracker on the plate, slid my marshmallows off the "skewer" as they laid on top of the cracker and then sprinkled about 3-4 mini chocolate chips on top.  To finish it off, I placed one more mini cracker on top, making it the perfect s'more sandwich.  The first bite was crunchy but gooey, the crunch from the crispness of the cracker mixed with the gooeyness of the marshmallows, as the chocolate chips melted in my mouth.  I went back to roast some more marshmallows, once I start, I can't be stopped - I'm a sucker for roasted marshmallows.  For not being a big dessert fan, it was the perfect amount of sweetness with a quick crunch, leaving me happy and satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment