Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Zucchini for Dessert?

You know how some people have a sweet tooth, while others have a salty one?  Well, I'm the latter, I love salty foods - pile on the pretzels, popcorn, chips, etc.  So when my mom asked me "what was for dessert?" the other night, I didn't have much of a response.  Ultimately, we ended up snacking on frozen fruit, but I began my search online for sweet, baking recipes.  We don't eat butter, so that limited my search even more, but after a few websites, I hit the jackpot, a Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread by the famous Ethiopian chef, Marcus Samuelsson.  The recipe was easy peasy.  I started with two separate bowls, one with dry ingredients, the other with wet ingredients.  In a small bowl, I combined 2 farm fresh brown eggs, 1/4 cup of clover honey, one mashed ripe yellow banana, 15 individually wrapped brown sugar packets which amounted into a 1/2 cup and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.  In a larger bowl, I combined 1 & 3/4 cup of all-purpose white flour (a substitution for whole-wheat pastry flour), a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon.  The strong aroma of the cinnamon wafted through the room.  I sifted the dry ingredients together and then poured the smaller bowl of wet ingredients into the dry ones and whisked them all together, making sure every inch of flour was hidden in the mixture.  Then it came time for the meat (vegetable) of the recipe, I took a fresh medium zucchini and sliced it into quarter-shaped pieces and then into halves, quarters and finally tiny chopped pieces, spooning them into the mix.  The last part of the recipe called for mix-in additions - dried fruit or chocolate chips.  We didn't have chocolate chips, but I added a handful of sticky crimson red Craisins.  I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees and sprayed a loaf-sized pan with non-stick cooking spray and then carefully tipped the bowl over and let the liquidy-mix flow into the pan.  After 50 minutes our house smelled like a bakery.  The bread came out with a browned crust on top, with flecks of green and red from the cranberries and zucchini.  The first bite was sweet, but savory from the zucchini - a perfect combination of a sweet and salty flavor.  The outer crust of the bread was hard with a crunch, but the inside was soft and moist, it broke apart in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment