Tuesday, December 4, 2012

No Oodles of Soup

Tonight for dinner at my sorority house we were having my all time favorite meal...salmon.  Okay, just kidding, I don't like salmon, or any type of fish for that matter.  I debated throughout the day of an alternative meal I could make for dinner and finally decided on a hearty soup.  And lets be honest, soup is my favorite food.  I pulled out the Vietnamese Pho Noodle soup box from my drawer and the cold package of No Oodles noodles from my fridge.  The original noodles in the soup taste a bit like straw, so I decided to switch them out for the No Oodles pack of noodles.  No Oodles are a new brand of noodles which are zero calorie and gluten free, made from sweet potatoes.  They don't taste like anything plain, but they work for mix-ins with already prepared meals.  I carefully placed the handful of No Oodles onto the bottom of the white plastic Pho soup bowl and cut open the Pho soup spice packets and sprinkled them on top of the new noodles.  Then I moved into my Sorority kitchen I searched for my mystery ingredients.  I started with a small bowl from the kitchen filled with firm tofu and raw broccoli as well as a plate with vegetables from the salad bar - shredded carrots, chopped green peppers, sliced mushrooms and dark green beans.  Tonight my Sorority's kitchen salad bar was going to take on a new meaning.  The ingredients could hardly be contained in the small bowl, as I filled it to the line with water, I had to push the food back into the bowl so it wouldn't fall out.  I placed my "homemade" soup into the microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds and out came a steaming hot bowl of flavors.  I spooned the broth into my mouth and was instantly taken aback by how spicy it was, but it mixed well with the other plain vegetables.  The broccoli was soft, the mushrooms were cooked and the peppers burst with crunchiness in my mouth.  The spoonfuls and forkfuls were filled with noodles, vegetables, broth, the flavors were endless.  The noodles, so long and clear were a perfect addition in the bowl of goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment