Thursday, March 6, 2014

Full Moon

Last night I finally got my sushi fix, and it was completely worth the wait. So far, being in Israel I've had sushi two other times, neither to my liking, but last night - the restaurant Moon, on Bograshav Street hit the jackpot. The restaurant was small, but packed with both Americans, Brits and Israelis - plus it's gotten great recommendations, so I was very excited to try it. The menu was filled with different appetizers, colorful rolls, sushi sandwiches, pouches of rice/tofu filled with fish and vegetables, sashimi - the list could go on. The menu was overwhelming, but everything looked sooooo good. Plus, they had the option of brown rice, it was 2GOOD2BTRUE!!!!! I decided on two rolls - the spicy tuna; a mixture of tuna and avocado rolled in rice, wrapped in a slice of cucumber, with a spicy radish mixture drizzled over the top. For my second roll, I chose a Japanese tofu pouch stuffed with Yellowtail, avocado and sesame seeds sprinkled on top, with a side of a thinly julienned daikon and carrot salad. I picked up a piece, slathered on wasabi, dipped in gooey Eel sauce, Spicy orange mayo and a final splash in the dark brown Soy Sauce. This piece was legend, wait for it, wait for it...dary. Probably the best meal I've eaten out so far in Tel Aviv, and that's saying a lot because I'm a picky eater, especially when it comes to Sushi. I really don't like fish, but I really enjoy it in Sushi. The fish was fresh, the avocado melted in my mouth, the spicy radish pieces, along with the spicy mayo/wasabi mixture, left me with a fiery incense in my mouth - my eyes were watering...this is a great way to clear out your sinuses (in case anyone was wondering). The tofu pouch was sweet, it provided a tasty contrast with the salty fish and pungent taste of the avocado. I just couldn't get enough of that yummy in my tummy sush, and we washed it down with some warm Sake.
I drank the Sake in honor of my mother, her favorite type of alcohol...it was the first time I've ever had it before, the rice based alcohol is not my drink of choice, but it was the perfect pair with the meal. Because my schedule has been different, somewhat off, I'm usually snacking throughout the day, and starving at meals. Yesterday though, I was able to really appreciate my food, I had the opportunity to eat slowly and really take in all the flavors. I can't explain how good this meal was, my only recommendation is if you're abroad in Israel, to try it, if you're sitting on your couch back in the states, get on a plane to Israel and head to Moon...but make sure you make a reservation first, they get crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment