Monday, February 10, 2014

Iron Chef: Abroad

Greetings from halfway across the world. I know that all my devoted followers have missed my food blogging, so I am here with some happy news - here comes the first food blog post abroad in Israel! My living conditions are not amazing, therefore, it's been somewhat difficult to cook for myself. Although as many of you know, I LOVE to cook, so the challenging circumstances were just going to have to do. I figured that the easiest thing to make in small, tight, kitchenette quarters was of course, a stir-fry: otherwise known as my go-to meal, both home and abroad. With the help of a friend, we started to prepare: chopping green cabbage into thin strips, breaking apart the broccoli and cauliflower florets from their stems, slicing a small cube of tofu into little chunks and dicing/seeding a red juicy tomato. Tomato in a stir fry...say, what? Actually it was pretty delicious. We began by sautéing the broccoli and cauliflower, and then trying to be quick, I tossed in the strips of cabbage before I realized that the vegetables were overflowing...tight kitchen quarters: 1, chefs abroad: 0. Anyway, we let the florets steam and when they seemed to be cooked down, I added the cabbage, the pieces melted into the other vegetables we folded them over each other with the spatula. Tofu is one of my favorite sources of protein, and it's been hard to find it here - but with the hope that it would be good, we tossed it in. It was equally as delicious as the surprise tomato we threw into the stir-fry. The vegetables cooked down, the tofu was added, and some Teriyaki and Soy Sauce were drizzled over the mixture of ingredients, for flavor, along with some granulated Garlic powder. The tomatoes were the last addition, because they cook the quickest. Once all the separate parts were combined together, it was time to eat. The stir-fry was steaming hot (just the way I like it) and surprisingly, all the flavors were there. The tofu was firm, the vegetables were soft and delicate, cooked to perfection - with a touch of crunch from the cabbage. The tomato added a sweet flavor and the red color peaked out from the normal whites and greens. I would say the final product produced a win for chefs abroad, and especially because we came out with left-overs! I can't wait to prepare this meal again, with different additions as well as many others. Watch out TLVeats, I'm coming for ya...homecooked meals and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment