Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Thai This

There are certain types of ethnic foods that I believe should be eaten sporadically: Chinese, Japanese, Indian, just to name a few. However, there is one exception: Thai food! When you ask me what my favorite type of ethnic food is, I will 9 times out of 10 say: Thai. Tonight I invited a friend over for dinner and you will never believe what we decided to make...THAI FOOD (surprise)! After searching long and hard for a Pad Thai recipe, I stumbled upon an easy vegetarian Pad Thai dish and we got straight to work...well, the abbreviated version (with ingredients we had in the house). First, I boiled a heaping amount of white bean thread noodles, that turned to a translucent clear after they were cooked. Then, we got to work on the sauce. If you are an avid Thai eater like me, you know that Thai food has flavor and flair, with a robust spiciness. We took a 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 2 scoops of chunky peanut butter, two halves of one freshly squeezed lemon (the recipe called for lime), 4 individual packets of white sugar and 2 tablespoons of Siracha (a red tangy hot sauce). We whisked the mixture together and began to sauté half of a chopped white onion in the wok, carefully adding half a block of white spongey tofu. We cooked the ingredients down and added the bean thread noodles and peanut butter and soy sauce mixture with a small forkful of garlic and some chopped scallions for more flavor. I picked up my chopsticks (feeling in an authentic mood) and took my first bite, which was filled with a spicy kick from the Siracha and a creaminess from the peanut butter. The soft bites of tofu were light and fluffy. The flavors paired perfectly - both salty and sweet. I finished my first plate and went back for seconds, excited for the leftovers that will be waiting for me at lunch tomorrow. It was thai-tally delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment